Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The consonants and vowels

Okay, so I started taking a poetry class. This was an off-the-cuff decision, and a good one. I am pretty mediorce, but I enjoy it a great deal. My professor reminds me of Helen Walker (for all you Messiah College fans out there), if Helen wore knee-high leather boots daily. She also really likes my poetry, although that could very well be a result of a class of primarily non-English majors.

At any rate, I'm putting all of them in here, whether I think they are brilliant, or brilliantly below average. This one was my first one.

(Untitled)

Nations in brilliant colours and sharp borders
Loudly stand in defiance
A too-blue English Channel splits
The stately red United Kingdom
And the pale yellow French Republic
As already out-of-date countries in Africa
Invent fresh lines and shades to be displayed
At a later date

Stars litter the land
A star for Moscow, a star for Helsinki
Stars for each of Beirut, Beijing, Buenos Aires
The same star dozens of times
With a different name with each appearance
Small spots spell out Strasbourg
Santorini

Seattle

A tug on the string
And the world whirs together
In an instant we are stacked
Pressed together
It is dark
Silent
At last
We have peace


Feel free to leave love or rip me a new one. If you hate it or love it, there's more to come. In fact, at least one more today.

Love to you all,
Charlie


No comments: